God’s Draper – James Foster of Preston

James Foster (1840-1896) was very much a self-made man and the W and J Foster collection at Lancashire Archives (DDX 438), which includes his personal papers, gives a real sense of the ambition, energy and enquiring mind which led to his success. Above all else though it shows how strong religious conviction underpinned every aspect of Foster’s… Continue reading God’s Draper – James Foster of Preston

Dolly Clayton’s Diary, 1777-1833 

  Dolly Clayton was something of a diarist and through the kindness of Captain R.L.B. Cunliffe of Bury St. Edmunds her surviving diaries (for the years 1777, 1783, 1791, 1801-1811, 1812-1823, 1825-1829, 1831-1833) are now in the Lancashire Record Office [this is a slightly edited version of an article first published in the annual report of… Continue reading Dolly Clayton’s Diary, 1777-1833 

The Standish of Duxbury Muniments

The Record Office has acquired a collection of some 300 documents (DP/397) relating mainly to the Standish family of Duxbury [this article was first published in the Lancashire Record Office annual report for 1969-70. The collection can be seen at Lancashire Archives and you can browse the catalogue here]. They range from the early 13th… Continue reading The Standish of Duxbury Muniments

A Lancashire Manufacturer and the Cotton Famine

Among documents purchased from Shaw’s Bookshop of Manchester is a collection of letters written to William Horrocks of Farnworth, near Bolton, while he was a medical student in London (DP 412). The 179 letters were written by William’s father, George Horrocks, a cotton spinner and manufacturer, and brothers Joseph, Henry and James between 1 October,… Continue reading A Lancashire Manufacturer and the Cotton Famine